Saturday, December 01, 2007

Two Years in Zambia

Exactly two years ago today, I arrived in Lusaka. What started out as a four month trip has turned into 2 years, so I thought today I would get a little nostalgic. In the past 2 years, I have proposed a Dissertation topic, published four articles (including two in JAMA and one in The Lancet), given an oral presentation at an International AIDS conference, traveled to England, Canada, Australia, Switzerland, Zimbabwe, Tanzania, and South Africa, seen Lions, Rhino, Elephants, a Leopard, Cape Buffalo, Cheetahs, Eagles, Koala Bears, Kangaroo, Whales, Sharks, and countless other animals, and went SCUBA diving on the Great Barrier Reef in Australia and the Indian Ocean in Zanzibar. I really didn't know what I was getting into back in 2005. CIDRZ is a great place to work, and the expatriate community in Lusaka is loaded with amazing people from all over the world. I have made friends from Zambia, England, Sweden, Finland, Ireland, France, the Netherlands, Scotland, Zimbabwe, South Africa, Australia, even Canada, and many more countries. I saw two close friends get married this past week in a beautiful Buddhist ceremony in the South African bush. I even acquired a Rhodesian Ridgeback that I love. Don't get me wrong, I do miss my family and the States. I know I am missing many important things in my nieces' lives, like graduations and birthdays, and that does make me sad, but the point of this post is that I have thoroughly enjoyed the past 2 years in Zambia. Since I know this will not last forever, I encourage everyone to visit while I am still here.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home